List of Long Weekends in 2023: The Ultimate Guide to Planning a Long Weekend Trip!
Weekends are often occupied running errands and catching up with friends and family. But people look forward to some special weekends of the year as they come with additional holidays. Yes, we’re referring to long weekends that help people take short vacations and unwind from stress. Here’s a list of long weekends in 2023 in India and weekend getaways worth exploring that will help you make the most of these holidays.
- January 14th, Saturday: Makar Sankranti & Lohri
January 15th, Sunday: Pongal
January 16th, Monday (Take a leave)
The long weekend of Makar Sankranti, Lohri, and Pongal is quite a celebrated one. The festivities start with Makar Sankranti and Lohri on January 14th and end with Pongal on January 15th. In some states, the festivals are pro-longed and are celebrated with grandeur. Some of the best places to visit in India during this festival are:
- Haridwar, Uttarakhand: Attend the Ganga Aarti and take a dip in the holy river.
- Amritsar, Punjab: Enjoy the vibrant spirit of Amritsar.
- Ahmedabad, Gujarat: Attend India’s largest kite flying festival.
- January 26th, Thursday: Republic Day
January 27th, Friday (Take a leave)
January 28th, Saturday
January 29th, Sunday
January seems to be a month filled with long weekends. Another long weekend that comes with a four-day holiday is the Republic Day weekend. Enjoy this holiday by planning a relaxing trip with your friends or family and recharge yourself. The best places to visit in India during this period are:
- New Delhi: Witness the Republic Day parades.
- Wagah Border, Amritsar: Watch the retreat ceremony.
- Shimla: Visit Ridge Maidan and witness the state-level celebrations.
- March 08th, Wednesday: Holi
March 09th, Thursday (Take a leave)
March 10th, Friday (Take a leave)
March 11th, Saturday
March 12th, Sunday
Holi is a much-awaited festival in India. It marks the beginning of the spring season and is celebrated widely in every part of the country. Depending on the location, people celebrate it differently. For example, in some places, people visit temples and follow rituals associated with the festival; while in others, people play Holi in the wildest way possible. The best part of Holi in 2023 is that it falls on a Wednesday. This means you can take a Thursday and Friday off, club it with the weekend, and enjoy a five-day holiday. The best places to visit in India during this season are:
- Mathura, Uttar Pradesh: Attend the Holi events at Dwarkadheesh Temple.
- Vrindavan, Uttar Pradesh: Participate in the Phoolon wali Holi at Banke Bihari Temple.
- Udaipur, Rajasthan: Attend the royal Holika Dahan at Shambhu Niwas Palace.
- April 04th, Tuesday: Mahavir Jayanti
April 05th, Wednesday (Take a leave)
April 06th, Thursday (Take a leave)
April 07th, Friday: Good Friday
April 08th, Saturday
April 09th, Sunday
April marks the onset of the summer season and is a pleasant month to travel. With so many holidays in the first week of the month, we are excited to take an extended vacation. And if you want this six-day vacation to turn into a nine-day holiday, you must consider taking leaves from April 03rd, Monday, club it with April 01st and 02nd, i.e., Saturday and Sunday, and there you go! A nice nine-day long vacation. The best places to visit in India during this period are:
- Shimla, Kullu & Manali, Himachal Pradesh: Enjoy and explore the magnificent hills.
- Spiti: Soak in the natural beauty of the rugged mountains.
- McLeodganj: Relax and feel one with nature.
- May 05th, Friday: Buddha Purnima
May 06th, Saturday
May 07th, Sunday
Another long weekend calls for another getaway. Make the most of this time by visiting some of the beautiful destinations in the country. The best places to visit in India during this time are:
- Kerala: Visit God’s own country, indulge in the Ayurvedic massage, take a tour on the houseboat and soak in nature’s marvels.
- Goa: Enjoy the sun, sand, and sea in this picturesque state.
- Pondicherry: Visit the French Riviera of the East and explore its culture and heritage.
- June 29th, Thursday: Bakri Eid
June 30th, Friday (Take a leave)
July 01st, Saturday
July 02nd, Sunday
Another long weekend awaits you in June and July. With the beginning of the monsoon season, it’s a perfect time to get away and soak in the beauty of nature. The best places to visit in India during this time are:
- Lonavala, Maharashtra: Enjoy the waterfalls, the Bushi Dam, and the beauty of nature all in one place!
- Rishikesh, Uttarakhand: Enjoy river rafting and mindful yoga sessions.
- Bir Billing: Paraglide into nature!
- August 12th, Saturday
August 13th, Sunday
August 14th, Monday (Take a leave)
August 15th, Tuesday: Independence Day
August 16th, Wednesday: Parsi New Year
Often a time for a short break for the people of Delhi, Mumbai, and Bangalore, the Independence Day break, calls for nearby getaways that help people take a break from their daily chores and prepare themselves for the upcoming festivities. The best places to visit in India during this time are:
- Jhansi, Uttar Pradesh: Learn the history of the freedom struggle.
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands: Take a tour of the Cellular Jail and learn about freedom strugglers. You can also indulge in water-sport activities.
- Red Fort, Delhi: Join in the celebrations of the country’s glorious day.
- August 26th, Saturday
August 27th, Sunday
August 28th, Monday (Take a leave)
August 29th, Tuesday: Onam
August 30th, Wednesday: Rakshabandhan
This long weekend celebrates the bond between a brother and a sister. So, what’s better than planning a trip with your siblings and enjoying Rakshbandhan with them. The best places to visit in India during this time are:
- Rishikesh, Uttrakhand: A perfect vacay destination for adventure-minded siblings.
- Goa: Party with your siblings from sunset to sunrise at this party destination.
- Lahaul, Spiti, Himachal Pradesh: Explore the beauty of this wonderful paradise.
- September 07th, Thursday: Janmashtami
September 08th, Friday (Take a leave)
September 09th, Saturday
September 10th, Sunday
Celebrate the festival of Janmashtami in Lord Krishna’s famous temples in Dwarka, Puri, Vrindavan, and Mathura. An experience of a lifetime; you will indeed witness festivity and devotion. The best places to visit in India during this festival are:
- Mathura, Uttar Pradesh: Visit Lord Krishna’s birthplace.
- Vrindavan, Uttar Pradesh: Attend the vibrant celebrations at the various temples.
- Dwarka: Visit the temples and take blessings from the Lord.
- September 16th, Saturday
September 17th, Sunday
September 18th, Monday (Take a leave)
September 19th, Tuesday: Ganesh Chaturthi
This long weekend coincides with one of India’s major festivals, i.e., Ganesh Chaturthi. The 10-day-long festival is celebrated each year widely, and many people also take this time to enjoy a long weekend. The best places to visit in India during this time are:
- Coorg, Karnataka: Catch a whiff of some fresh air.
- Nashik, Maharashtra: Indulge in some wine tasting and visit the famous temples and shrines in the city.
- Daman & Diu: Explore the rich Portuguese history and culture.
- September 30th, Saturday
October 01st, Sunday
October 02nd, Monday: Gandhi Jayanti
Sometimes, an escape is all you need. Pamper yourself and get some quality time to unwind from the chaos. The best places to visit in India during this time are:
- Darjeeling, West Bengal: Explore the beautiful Queen of the Himalayas.
- Saputara, Gujarat: Explore the hidden gem of Gujarat.
- Coonoor: Get a glimpse of the mesmerizing views of the massive Nilgiris.
- October 21st, Saturday
October 22nd, Sunday
October 23rd, Monday (Take a leave)
October 24th, Tuesday: Dussehra
Mahanavami and Dussehra come this weekend and are both widely celebrated festivals in India. This year, the festivity will be even grander as they fall after the weekend, i.e., Monday and Tuesday, respectively. This also means an extended weekend off. If you’re planning a trip during this time, you should visit the below-listed places.
- Hampi, Karnataka: Explore the ruins of the bygone era.
- Agra, Uttar Pradesh: Get romantic with your partner in the city of love.
- Kolkata: Soak in the rich culture that you will witness during this time.
- November 11th, Saturday
November 12th, Sunday: Diwali
November 13th, Monday: Govardhan Puja
Make the most of your Diwali weekend. Enjoy this festival with your family and friends, and find solace from hectic everyday life. A few places to visit in India during this time are:
- Pushkar, Rajasthan: Visit this famous pilgrimage site in Rajasthan.
- Ayodhya, Uttar Pradesh: Soak in the beauty of the birthplace of Lord Rama.
- Sanchi, Madhya Pradesh: Visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- November 25th, Saturday
November 26th, Sunday
November 27th, Monday: Guru Nanak Jayanti
Another long weekend in November 2023 awaits you. With a three-day long holiday, there are quite a few destinations that you can visit during this time of the year. The best places to visit in India during this time are:
- Gir, Gujarat: Visit the home to India’s Asiatic Lions
- Gokarna, Maharashtra: Relax and enjoy the beauty of the sun and the sea at the peaceful beaches of Gokarna.
- Tarkarli, Maharashtra: Enjoy the beach and some fun water-sport activities at Tarkarli.
- December 23rd, Saturday
December 24th, Sunday
December 25th, Monday: Christmas
The last long weekend of the year falls around Christmas, which means it’s your last chance in 2023 to plan a trip without taking additional work leave. Some places to explore during this time are:
- Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh: Visit the ancient temples and marvel at the architectural brilliance.
- Rann of Kutch, Gujarat: Discover the unique landscape of the white desert.
- Ranthambore: Experience wildlife at its best.
Make the most of these long weekends of 2023 by planning your holidays in advance. If you’re wondering how to make these trips possible, Piramal Finance is here to help you. Avail of a personal loan and make the most of early bird offers. Get the best deals with attractive rates on flights, hotels, buses, tour packages, and more. Most importantly, avail of our personal loan to ensure you have a promising holiday experience in 2023.
More articles for you
What Are the Eligibility Criteria for the Composition Scheme Under GST?
What is a moratorium period in a personal loan, and why is it used?
Why You Need to Change your ATM Pin
What is the formula for personal loan EMI? And how to do It.
What Is A Processing Fee For Personal Loans?